Sunday, December 29, 2013

Game Reviews

Remember how I told you that the whole family gets together to play board games after Christmas?
What I didn't tell you is that there's a relative who gets new board games every year. It's always really fun to see which ones they've brought.
This year, there were: 
Seven Wonders
Ticket to Ride:Asia
and
King of Tokyo

We loved all 3 of the new games.
My favorites were Seven Wonders and Ticket to Ride: Asia.
Well, neither of these games are brand new, but they're new to me!

Here I am at the end of Ticket to Ride:Asia


(I'll add my actual reviews in a bit!)

Ok. So, what did I like about each of these games?

I liked Seven Wonders because:
 I like history, and each player plays as one of the 7 Ancient Wonders of the World. You can play with a lot of people, or just a few - it's 2-7 players. So, you can play with family, or at home with just a friend (or sister!).
The game is for 10 and up, and is also really easy to learn. On each turn, you pick cards to get goods, armies, science, and buildings. And, you can decide to build your "Wonder."  At the end of the game, which is played in 3 ages, you see who has the most points.  It's especially fun because it's always possible to do *something* on each turn, so everyone gets to play during the whole game. 



The other new game I really liked this weekend was Ticket to Ride: Asia.

The game is played like original Ticket to Ride. You get tickets that challenge you to build trains between cities all across the map. You get points for building more trains and finishing more tickets. Whoever has the most points at the end wins. But you can play this version in teams!

I thought it was going to be fun to have a partner to play with, and then I learned about the twist in the rules. You can't actually talk to your partner about the game, and you only get to show your partner one of your tickets. So, you're working together, but you don't know where your teammate is trying to go!
It feels really crazy to see your partner put a train on the opposite side of the board from where you want to be - but I still had a lot of fun playing this game!

This game was also super tough because I didn't know a lot of the names of the cities in Asia. Well, I do now. But, I had to work pretty hard to find them on the map!
I think I want to play the Europe version next!





No comments:

Post a Comment