Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Remembering Shirley Temple - My Grandma's Shirley Doll

Shirley temple passed away yesterday (and, actually, so did my Great-Grandpa). She was already a grown-up by the time my Baba  (that means Grandma!) was a little girl, but she's been popular for what seems like forever.
As a little girl, Shirley was a big movie star whose cute movies made people happy during the tough times of the Great Depression. Her movies all seemed like wonderful fairy tales, and I'll bet that 1930s girl Kit's best friend, Ruthie, was a big fan!
Shirley was a great dancer, and I like that she danced with very talented people, no matter of their skin color. That was a big deal, during a time when people thought it was okay to be mean to each other just because of the color of their skin. 

When Shirley grew up, she still loved working with people, and got involved in politics. I love that she worked to help our country to be better friends with other countries by being an ambassador. I'm part Slovak, so I've always thought she was super cool because she was once an ambassador to Czechoslovakia!

I love Shirley Temple Movies, and my Baba was also a BIG fan when she was a little girl. Lots of moms tried to curl their girls' hair to make it look like Shirley's. Even my Great-Grandma used to try it on my Baba's BROWN hair. Here's my Baba with her curls. I think she does look a little like her Shirley doll in the second picture!



My mom saved my Baba's old Shirley Temple doll, and let me take her out to get some pictures. 
Here she is! She has such a cheerful face that she makes me happy, too!




No comments:

Post a Comment