Friday, February 7, 2014

Happy Birthday, Laura Ingalls Wilder!

I got to stay up late tonight to watch the opening ceremonies for the Sochi Olympics. I wasn't going to watch. I'm upset with Russia for a bunch of reasons. But I'm not upset with the athletes, who all worked really hard to get good at their sports. And, learning about things I dislike in other parts of the world (like a government threatening to tell my religion it's outlawed!) makes me really appreciate the good things in my country, want to work to make my country and the world better, and want to support our people (like our athletes!). So, I decided to watch. At least the opening ceremonies. While admittedly yelling at the screen once in a while. I thought the peace jellyfish(???) were weird. I liked Anna Netrebko's dress. Anyway, GO USA!!!



So, I went online a few times while I was watching. And, guess what.
I read Amy Poehler's "Smart Girls at the Party" a lot and my mom follows them on Facebook.  She showed me one of today's posts, where they mentioned that it's Laura Ingalls Wilder's birthday today!
Here's a link they posted: http://www.womenyoushouldknow.net/5-things-discovered-laura-ingalls-wilder/
So, I just have to post a big Happy Birthday to her because she was awesome! I love the Little House books. I really like learning about all the things people made by hand back then, and Little House is one of the reasons I learned how to sew and how to make stuff out of yarn. (Actually, they're even one of the reasons I love hedgehogs so much - you can read about one in the stories someone wrote about Laura's Scottish great-grandmother. Oh, I wish real pet hedgies weren't illegal in Pennsylvania!)

Okay, more tomorrow. But for now, I'm tired! Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment